Monday, July 18, 2011

Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler

From the back cover:

"What did you feel?" says Virgil.
"I don't know," I say, wondering myself.  "I felt, I feel, different."
Virgil stands next to me in the dark, close but far away.  He laughs softly, "So, what, you're Wolf Girl now?"
I laugh, too.  "Shut up, Virgil."
But I do feel different.
My mind hums.  The spell of the day is wrapped around and inside of me.  Eloise says wolves aren't people, but I wonder if people can be like wolves.

From me:
Ok, the most important thing to know about this book is this. is. not. a. werewolf. book.

Good, now that that's out of the way - this was a really great read.  I actually did think it was about werewolves when I began reading, and honestly, I was not looking forward to yet another werewolf book. (Not that I'm not counting down the days until The Savage Grace is released!!!)

KJ, the main character, is an accidentally strong, crusading, determined, hysterical teenage girl who turns a town upside down in order to save the wolves that have made her town their home.  She's not alone in her quest - super hot new kid, Virgil  and his mother, Eloise are wolf-lovers too and they help KJ understand and appreciate the wolves.  They also stand by her when her plans go awry...which is a lot of the time.

I thought that the characters, including the wolves, were great, interesting and easy to like (or not, in some cases).  Many of the "supporting roles" added tons of humor, mystery, and action.

There was something for everyone - romance, action (gunshots!!), and animals.  I know "animals" isn't exactly a genre, but some people are drawn to books about nature/animals, so there.

I would highly recommend this book and hope to read more from Kristen Chandler! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Family

Meg said...

Family?

Meg said...

Ok...now I understand. Anonymous, you are a mind reader because I am halfway through Family by Micol Ostow. :)